Tuesday, August 3, 2010

First Day of Preacademy, Pt. 1

JT left this morning for his first day of preacademy. He set his alarm for 5:30 a.m. and I got up too and tried to help him get ready. He had a ton of stuff he had to carry to the car, and insisted on taking it all himself because he will have to get it all out of the car himself.

I wish it didn't take several cups of coffee just to get myself awake through the day. I spent the morning doing all our laundry. I had to stay up with JY last night who was crying for no reason at 11 pm and wouldn't calm down until close to 12:30. It woke JT and he rocked her for a little while in the rocking chair but eventually he got tired and I took over.

People ask me when her bedtime is. I tell them "Whenever she decides it's time." With a baby, you can't just say, "Go to bed." You have to coax them to sleep. If they're not sleepy but in a good mood you might be able to leave them alone, but if they're cranky you're not gonna get a wink of sleep yourself until you comfort them.

I promised JT a nice dinner and I should get going on it. I'm attempting a relatively uncomplicated lamb chops recipe I found in Men's Health (his favorite magazine). I am not a cook. I am honestly terrified of my kitchen. This is usually JT's thing, which he does with pleasure and artistry. Suddenly it's my job to make sure he has a healthy dinner five nights a week, maybe seven... even when I'm working at night. Ah well--I figure that with all the new things my husband has to learn and all the new challenges he has, I can muster up enough courage and energy to cook him a decent meal each day and keep the house looking clean. This is my task.

2 comments:

  1. Have you discovered the joys of the crockpot yet?? google "year of slow cooking" and your life (and fear of the kitchen) will be revolutionized.

    p.s. I'm a police wife, too, who had a job and a baby while my husband went through the academy. i lived to tell about it. :) Mrs. Fuzz on "a police wife" told me about ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So I will survive after all!! :D I LOVE my crock pot. In fact I've been meaning to order myself a crock pot cookbook, because I don't know many recipes yet. I think I'll do that right after adding your blog :)

    ReplyDelete